Wednesday 21 September 2011

Paving Patterns

I am very weak towards modern clean pavers.  Large grey pavers with long clean lines constantly draw me in.  However, I'm starting to open up to intricate paving patterns.  It make's me think of Laurie Olin's paving designs for his large plazas.

 Here's one from Seattle.  

And one from his newer projects, Simon and Helen Director Park in Portland.

I remember Olin explaining in a lecture how he found inspiration for these patterns from woven baskets in his office.  

I've been getting a lot of inspiration from other mediums that make me want to try paving like this.  I haven't decided if it could be considered dated or not.  Or maybe it's time for it to come back.  Or more likely it never went out of style.  It would be a great contrast to a simple modern paving scheme, using both in the same project.  Here are some of the images that make me think 'paving pattern'.  Maybe one day I will get the chance.


These three are from Design Sponge where I constantly see interesting stuff.

UPDATE


Found this amazing paving for a courtyard.  Very intricate paving.


No comments:

Post a Comment